Tablets have been around for a while now, having survived the threat posed by modern-day smartphones with their large displays. And though many people thought the tablets would become obsolete, these devices remain relevant for all the non-phone tasks at the office or at home.
There are numerous tablets on the market, with new models being released every now then. In fact, we have tablets going all the way to 13” and which are packed with different features to meet your everyday needs and complement your lifestyle. And even with the variety of available options, 7 inch tablets are very popular mostly because of their size which allows you to carry them around with you. 7-inch tablets are also affordable and provide a desirable combination of portability and performance.
And though the iconic Nexus 7 may have been discontinued, this masterpiece paved the way for other 7-inch tablets. Launched in 2013, this tablet boasted of powerful features, a compact design, and a large display. Today, there are numerous 7 inch tablets to choose from, thanks to Nexus 7 for paving the way and increasing their demand in the market.
- Why 7-inch Tablets Are Popular
- Reviews of the Best 7 Inch Tablets
- Top Apple Pick: Apple iPad Mini
- Top Android Pick: Samsung Galaxy Tab A7
- Top Budget Pick: Acer 7″ Iconia One
- Also Worth Mentioning #1: Vankyo MatrixPad Z1
- Also Worth Mentioning #2: Lenovo Tab 7 Essential
- Also Worth Mentioning #3: Samsung Galaxy Tab E Lite 7″
- Also Worth Mentioning #4: LG G Pad V410
- Useful Tips When Buying the Best 7 Inch Tablet
- Best 7 inch Tablet Maintenance Tips
- Best 7 Inch Tablet: Conclusions
Table: The Best 7 Inch Tablet in 2019
Note: If you use a small screen you may have to scroll right in order to see all the columns.
|(Kyle's #1 Pick)|
Apple iPad Mini
|Samsung Galaxy Tab A7||$$|
|Acer 7" Iconia One||$|
|Vankyo MatrixPad Z1||$|
|Samsung Galaxy Tab E Lite||$$|
|LG G Pad V410||$$$|
Why 7-inch Tablets Are Popular
- When buying a tablet, one of the most important factors to consider is its size and how easy it will be to move around with it. This makes the 7-inch tablets popular as you can easily move around without feeling overwhelmed or causing much attention. Large-size tablets are cumbersome and will usually require an extra carrier unlike the 7-inch options which immaculately fit in your bag or purse.
- Price Range. 7 inch tablets are relatively affordable as compared to other tablets on the market. And especially for those who like to frequently change gadgets, the 7 inch tablets are great value for money. You’ll get all the features you need, sleek design, and most importantly, on a low budget.
- Unlike the large screen size tablets, the 7-inch options are very comfortable for E-reading. Whether you’re a preparing for a college exam or compiling a work report, you can easily hold the tablet in your hand for hours without feeling overwhelmed.
7 inch tablets are very useful and can also be used by kids as they boast of a compact design which perfectly fits their small hands.
Reviews of the Best 7 Inch Tablets
Having looked into why 7 inch tablets are popular, I’ll now shed light on some of the best 7-inch tablets that I’ve reviewed just for you. I have done my best to be thorough and unbiased in the reviews to give you a first-hand experience of what it feels to use these sleek and powerful pieces. And considering I had to give you only the best 7 inch tablet in this guide, here is what I think you should check out;
Top Apple Pick: Apple iPad Mini
Design and Display. The iPad Mini features the patented Apple’s lightweight design which is very portable. The 7.9-inch screen is perfect for carrying around with one hand and offers great typing experience with both hands. And while Apple still maintained the thick bezels, the bright, fully laminated Retina display make drawing with the Apple pencil more realistic and fun.
The design also features a 3.5 mm headphone jack and a reliable Touch ID fingerprint sensor as well. It also adds realism to your experience by using the True tone display technology and a p3 color gamut to display more shades of color. The iPad adjusts the white balance accordingly to match your environment.
Don’t let the sleek design fool you; the iPad Mini is what we’d call a powerful performer. It uses Apple’s A12 Bionic chipset used in iPhone XS and XS Max that boasts of efficiency and speed. The tablet can thus tackle 3D games without glitches as well as other heavy-duty apps like Adobe Lightroom, Adobe Premier Rush, and Procreate.
The iPad Mini also uses the iOS 12.1.3 which works together with the A12 chipset to allow for effortless multi-tasking. This one comes with 64 GB of storage, which allows you to store all your documents.
Apple Pencil and Lightning Connector. While there’s not a lot of screen to work with, the Apple Pencil is very effective in editing photos, scribbling notes, and drawing. And while I was disappointed that the second-gen Apple Pencil isn’t compatible with the iPad Mini, the first-gen barrel-shaped Apple Pencil still does the job.
The lighting connector allows you to easily connect your iPad to the charger, host computers, camera, and other peripherals. This device also has a set of decent cameras (8MP, f/2.4 aperture rear camera and 7MP ‘Face Time HD,’ F/2.2 aperture front camera).
Why the Apple iPad Mini is my top Apple Pick…?
If you’re a big fan of Apple, then you’ll love the powerful configuration in the iPad Mini. This amazing tablet uses the iOS 12.1.3 and A12 chipset, which work together to ensure smooth multi-tasking regardless of the apps you are running. It has a 7.9-inch Retina display, 64 GB storage, and long-lasting battery life.
|Processor||Apple A12 Bionic (7 nm)|
|RAM||3 GB RAM|
|Storage||64 GB / 128 GB|
|Display||7.9 Inch Retina Display with 2048 x 1536 Resolution|
|Camera||Rear – 8 MP | Front – 7MP|
|Operating System||Apple iOS 12.1.3|
|Battery Life||10 hours|
Top Android Pick: Samsung Galaxy Tab A7
Performance. The Samsung Galaxy A7 uses a quad-core Snapdragon 410 processor and 1.5GB RAM to deliver enough power for your everyday tasks. The device can thus play different high-end games and support high-intensity apps without lagging in terms of speed and efficiency. The A7 also has an 8GB internal memory which is pretty decent and enough to store a good number of documents. Samsung has gone a step ahead by providing an SD card slot expandable up to 256GB for people who want more storage capacity.
Design. The Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7 represents the perfect blend in terms of ease of handling and mobility. The slim, lightweight design allows you to comfortably operate and hold the device with one hand. There are no limits with the A7 as you can move around with it without attracting much attention.
In addition to the sleek design, this 7 inch Android tablet also boasts of an attractive 7-inch IPS Multi-touch display that is convenient for E-reading, playing games, and so much more. The screen has an immaculate 1280×800 pixels resolution which enhances the clarity and color of images and text.
Camera and Battery. The A 7 comes with a solid 5MP primary camera that delivers great shots. And while the pictures might not be the best quality there is, they are pretty good in line with the expected Samsung standards. The tablet also comes with a powerful battery that allows you to continue watching your favorite movies, playing games, or reading eBooks. The long-lasting battery life goes up to 11 hours.
Why the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7 is the best 7 inch Android tablet…?
The A 7 is one of the most versatile Android 7 inch tablets on the market. This incredible tablet immaculately blends portability and ease of handling which makes it an all-rounded device. It has a sleek design, powerful processor, and long-lasting battery life.
|Processor||1.3 GHz Snapdragon 410 CPU|
|RAM||1.5 GB RAM|
|Display||7.0″ IPS Multi-Touch Display, 1280 x 800 Screen Resolution|
|Camera||Rear – 5 MP | Front – 2MP|
|Operating System||Android 5.1.1 Lollipop|
|Battery Life||11 hours|
Top Budget Pick: Acer 7″ Iconia One
Design and Display. The Acer Iconia One 7 has a pretty decent design made of generic plastic. This lightweight tablet has a textured back to enhance the grip and make handling easier with one hand. The small size and textured back also make the Acer Iconia good for kids with their little hands. The 7-inch 1280×720 IPS LCD screen is another highlight that you can’t help but notice. This attractive display boasts of a 210ppi which gives it a denser picture quality and decent viewing angles.
This tablet is steered by a 1.3 GHz MediaTek MT8163 processor which guarantees smooth multi-tasking and transitions. The Iconia also has a 1GB RAM which does a pretty decent job even with most demanding games and editing apps. The tablet boasts of a 16GB eMMC Storage that’s enough to store a good amount of documents and runs on Android 7 which is efficient and very useful.
Camera and Battery. Though not the best best 7 inch tablet on the market, this cheap 7 inch tablet comes fitted with a 2MP rear camera and 0.3MP front camera which offers good reference shots. The tablet also has a 2780 mAh Li-ion battery that guarantees you up to 7 hours of battery life.
|Processor||MediaTek MT8167B, Quad-core (4 Core™) ARM 1.3 GHz|
|RAM||1 GB RAM|
|Display||7″ multi-touch / WSVGA (1024 x 600) resolution|
|Camera||Rear – 2 MP | Front – 0.3 MP|
|Operating System||Android 7.0 Nougat|
|Battery Life||7 hours|
Also Worth Mentioning #1: Vankyo MatrixPad Z1
Powered by the great and responsive 64 bit, 1.5 GHz quad-core processor, this tablet guarantees uninterrupted multi-tasking experience. The 1GB RAM allows for smooth viewing and gaming experience, fast app launches, and great overall performance. The Vankyo MatrixPad Z1 Matrix also comes equipped with a 32GB onboard memory and an SD card slot that allows you to expand the capacity for an extra 128GB of memory. Additionally, this cheap 7 inch tablet runs on the efficient and versatile Android 8.1 Oreo Go Operating System.
Design and Display. The Vankyo MatrixPad Z1 tablet features an attractive rectangular design with squared corners to enhance the grip. The body is made of plastic which is lightweight, easy to handle, and portable. The tablet also boasts of a versatile 7-inch IPS display (1024×600 IPS). The screen offers a bright, articulated viewing experience with vivid colors from all angles. Also, the display has an automatic backlight optimizing feature that adjusts the light based on the environment for a more comfortable experience.
Camera and Battery. This 7 inch Android tablet allows you to capture the world with post-worthy pics and videos with the 2MP rear camera. The Z1 also has a 2MP front camera which is perfect for selfies and Skype calls with your friends and family. The 2500mAh lithium polymer battery and low power consumption CPU guarantees you never-ending entertainment as you can watch, play, or read for up to 8 hours. All this makes this excellent product one of the most affordable and best 7″ tablet on the market today.
|Processor||64 bit Quad-core processor 1.5GHz|
|RAM||1 GB RAM|
|Display||7-inch IPS display (1024×600 IPS)|
|Camera||Rear – 2 MP | Front – 2 MP|
|Operating System||Android 8.1 Oreo Go Edition|
|Battery Life||8 hours|
Also Worth Mentioning #2: Lenovo Tab 7 Essential
The Lenovo Tab 7 Essential comes with a powerful and versatile 64-bit quad-core processor up to 1.3 GHz that guarantees smooth, effortless running. This 7 in tablet also has a 1GB RAM for seamless performance and runs on Android Nougat 7.0 Operating System. The Tab 7 comes with a 16GB internal memory for all your storage needs
The tablet features an attractive, thin, and lightweight design that renders it portable and versatile. The Tab 7 can be operated and held comfortably using one hand and fits perfectly into your bag or purse. The small size means you don’t have to leave it at home, especially if you are a regular traveler- the device moves with you!
Long-lasting Battery. The lithium polymer battery allows you to enjoy long-lasting fun. Whether it that blockbuster you want to watch, the game you want to play, or the eBook you want to read, the Lenovo Tab7 Essential guarantees you up to 10 hours of uninterrupted enjoyment.
The tablet comes fitted with a 2MP front and rear camera to help you capture post-worthy shots and selfies. It also has a multi-account function which makes it an ideal family tablet offering separate personal profiles, each with dedicated storage and interface.
|Processor||64 bit Quad-core processor 1.3GHz|
|RAM||1 GB RAM|
|Display||7-inch 1024×600 pixels|
|Camera||Rear – 2 MP | Front – 2 MP|
|Operating System||Android Nougat 7.0|
|Battery Life||10 hours|
Also Worth Mentioning #3: Samsung Galaxy Tab E Lite 7″
Kid-Friendly Design. The Samsung Galaxy Tab E Lite is one of the most affordable Android tablets. It features a lightweight, kid-friendly design and a bright display for a comfortable and thrilling experience. The tablet can be operated and held with one hand which, enhances its versatility and portability.
The Tab E Lite houses engaging and educational content for kids of every age and parental control features that allow you to set the apps you wish to monitor and the limits on tablet time. Just relax and let your kid learn and create with their favorite characters from the wide selection at Samsung Kids.
This tablet is steered by the Samsung T-Shark 1.3GHz quad-core processor and a 1GB DDR3 RAM which ensure smooth running and multi-tasking. The tablet guarantees a smooth watching and gaming experience, has a solid 8GB internal storage which can be expanded up to 32GB, and runs on Android 4.4 Operating System.
Long-Lasting Battery Life. This 7 in tablet boasts of a powerful 4000mAh lithium-ion battery which guarantees up to 8 hours of uninterrupted fun. The tablet also has a 2MP rear camera from which you can squeeze decent reference shots. This is also the smallest Samsung tablet.
|Processor||Quad-core processor 1.3GHz|
|RAM||1 GB DDR3 RAM|
|Display||7-inch 1024×600 pixels|
|Camera||Rear – 2 MP|
|Operating System||Android 4.4|
|Battery Life||8 hours|
Also Worth Mentioning #4: LG G Pad V410
Design and Display. The LG G Pad V410 presents an immaculate blend of comfort and versatility which is perfect for work or play. The tablet can be used to complement your smartphone with the vivid 7” HD, IPS screen which guarantees clear and detailed images and text. The lightweight design renders the phone portable as you can walk around without attracting much attention. It can also be operated and held using one hand.
The tablet runs on Android 4.4.2 KitKat Operating System with speeds up to 1.2 GHz which is pretty decent for the price range. It also has a 1GB RAM which promotes efficiency and allows you to run medium-level games without straining the system. The V410 can also multi-task efficiently and has a 16GB internal memory which can be expanded to 32GB via microSD.
Battery and Camera. This 7 inch Android tablet comes packed with a 4000mAh battery from which you can squeeze a solid 10 hours. This Android tab 7 inch also has a 4X Zoom, 5MP camera which offers decent shots.
|Processor||Quad-core processor 1.2GHz|
|RAM||1 GB RAM|
|Display||7-inch 1024×800 pixels|
|Camera||Rear – 5 MP|
|Operating System||Android 4.4.2|
|Battery Life||10 hours|
Useful Tips When Buying the Best 7 Inch Tablet
Now that you’ve decided to buy your best 7 inch tablet, what are some of the factors to consider? You must be thinking. Well, the following tips will help you pick the ideal tablet depending on your needs.
- Display: Over the years, the resolution on tablets have been improved to enhance the clarity and sharpness of images and text. Some models have an anti-reflective screen that makes it easier to use the tablet even in bright light. Also, the shape of the screen may vary from square to rectangular and which will greatly affect the experience. For instance, square screens are great for E-learning because they provide a uniform view on the hand which promotes easier reading. On the other hand, rectangular-shaped screens are amazing for watching movies, especially when held horizontally.
- Operating System: While a large percentage of tablets on the market run on either Android or iOS operating systems, there’s a smaller number of Windows tablets as well. The operating system of your tablet has a great effect on how well you enjoy the new purchase. Different systems come with different capabilities and it helps to buy a tablet with one that can be upgraded after a while to open it to new capabilities and apps.
Also, make sure you buy the tablet with the latest version of the specific operating system as this not only offers you the best features but it also improves the security of the device. Remember, new apps are being introduced every day, and most of them might require a newer version of your operating system.
- Storage and Expandability: Depending on the price you are willing to pay, standalone best 7 inch tablets’ storage ranges from 8 to 128 GB. However, it’s also possible to come across models which go up to 256GB of storage. Most of the tablets also have SD card slots which allow you to expand the memory to meet your needs. And while you really don’t need all the crazy storage space, we’d recommend paying a few more dollars for a decent storage space to store your documents. Make sure you also go for one with the SD card slot, in case you need more space in future.
- Number of Ports: A tablet is 10 times more useful if it has USB ports. Why? Because you can easily connect other devices into it, be it a keyboard, mouse, hard drive, camera, USB stick, or any other peripheral. Different tablets have different sizes and speeds of ports. So, make sure you consider the number, size, and speed of the ports on the tablet before you make the purchase. This will have a great influence on how the tablet complements your lifestyle as well as how well it does the job you intend it to.
- Battery Life: Just like with other electronic gadgets, the battery life of your tablet greatly depends on the battery type and how you use the tablet. And while different tablets will have different battery life, we’d recommend you go for a tablet you’ll comfortably get 7 hours from on a single charge.
- The App Market: The extensiveness and quality of the App Market of your particular tablet will determine how well you enjoy the new purchase. For years, the Apple’s App Market had dominated the top spot in terms of breath with certain developers releasing apps exclusively for the iOS market. However, this has really changed as the most developers now have both iOS and Android versions of their apps.
We recommend you check whether the apps and resources you intend to use with your tablet are available on the App Market before making the purchase.
- Printing Compatibility: Having a printing compatible tablet allows you to easily print documents. Who doesn’t want that?
Best 7 inch Tablet Maintenance Tips
Just like any other electronic, the tablet is fragile and you’ll need to take care of it. Proper maintenance includes keeping it clean to maintain the aesthetic appeal and keeping it from harm’s way to enhance longevity.
- Protect the Tablet’s Display: The tablet’s screen is probably the most delicate part because the glass is susceptible to cracking. So, buy a good quality case to go with your new purchase. We recommend buying tablet cases with extra screen protection such as an added layer to absorb the shock and bumpers to prevent the display from landing flat on the ground. ‘
Consider buying a screen protector for your tablet as well. And while a screen protector might be seen as a smartphone thing, having one on your tablet could mean the difference from a display that survives a fall and one that doesn’t.
- Be Cautious: Make sure the tablet remains in the protective case at all times. This case not only protects your new purchase in case of a fall, but it also shields it from getting damaged by other objects in your bag or purse. Avoid having your tablet near the counter and table edges as the accidental falls increase the chances of shattering the screen, damaging the battery, and distorting the internal components. Also, keep your tablet away from water as much as possible- there are cases which offer protection against water damage.
- Wipe the Tablet Regularly: Whether or not you have a protective case for the tablet, dirt will always accumulate and you’ll have to wipe your new purchase once in a while to maintain its aesthetic appeal. Wiping the screen regularly also makes viewing and controlling the tablet much easier.
When cleaning the tablet, use a clean, soft, lint-free cloth to gently wipe off the dust and fingerprints on the screen. Normally, a dry cloth will do the job, but when the display is really dirty, we recommend using a cleaning agent specifically designed for tablet displays. Also, avoid using paper towels to wipe the screen and always turn the tablet off while you clean it.
- Only use Your Tablet’s Stylus: All Tablet styluses are designed differently and it’s not recommended to use a different one for your tablet as this might impart scratches and gnarls on your tablet. Also, avoid using other objects like pens and utensils instead of the stylus. This also increases the chance of the screen either cracking or losing the touch-sensitiveness. We recommend ordering a new one rather than improvising- it’s cheaper than replacing your screen.
In addition, stick to the power cord provided when buying the tablet. Using a different cord might damage your tablet in the long run.
- Avoid Exposing the Tablet to Direct Sunlight: Exposing your best 7in tablet to sunlight can affect its performance, damage the display, and fade the color of the case. Always shield it for sunlight as well as other sources of heat like stoves and radiators as extreme temperatures will affect longevity.
- Stretch the Battery Life: Normally, Android apps keep running even while the tablet in sleep mode. This is good as it makes the startup process swift and keeps information current. However, it greatly reduces your battery life. You can remedy this by changing the Wi-Fi Sleep Policy to sleep when the screen turns off under Wireless Settings.
When charging the device, avoid overcharging as this gradually lowers the battery life. Let the battery percentage run out to almost zero if possible and then get a full 100% charge. Having interrupted, short charging sessions wears down the battery as well. Also, avoid charging your tablet while in use. We recommend having it on airplane mode when charging- this way, it charges faster and doesn’t wear down the battery.
Best 7 Inch Tablet: Conclusions
In conclusion, 7-inch tablets are here to stay, regardless of the pressure from large-screen smartphones. These devices are still relevant and are designed uniquely to meet your specific non-phone needs. Whether you want to watch your favorite movies, play your favorite game, or just read, there’s something for everyone.
The 7-inch tablets remain popular not only because of their sleek, portable designs, but also their affordability, which is a great aspect, especially for college students and anyone who enjoys affordable luxury. Who doesn’t anyway?
Most of these tablets are also compatible with your smartphone which makes them even more useful. The kids 7-inch tablets provide a wide range of kid content and parental control features to set limits and monitor progress.
This guide is aimed at enlightening you on why you should have a 7-inch tablet, the useful tips when getting one, the maintenance tips, and most importantly review some of the best 7 inch tablet on the market to give you first-hand experience on how it feels like to immerse yourself in the fun. Each of the tablets I’ve reviewed for you has something to offer to meet your everyday needs, and it’s my hope that the guide helps you to make an informed decision.
PS: In closing, I hope my best 7 inch tablet review was helpful when you’re making your choice. In addition, I recommend that you look around my site to learn about other consumer electronics and computer hardware. Also, if you have any questions about my best 7 inch tablets reviews or something else, don’t hesitate to send me an e-mail using my contact form.
Who is Kyle?
Hi I am Kyle, an engineer and small business owner from Northern California. I am an outgoing creative writer and tech blogger who has a passion for helping people and building creativity in the mind, through outstanding how-to guides, articles and honest reviews.
On Kyle’s Hardware you will find solutions to common problems related to software and computers, with practical reviews, tools tips and step-by-step technical guides. Read my complete biography here, or connect with me on Facebook or Twitter with the buttons below.